Sunday 9 December 2007

Nigeria Police, Women drivers, Aso ebi,DVDs

While in Nigeria about 2 weeks ago, I was stopped by police officers at a "checkpoint". This is what we had to say
Police: Good Afternoon
Me:Hello
Police: We were stopping you and you were (he was driving in the air)
Me: I stopped
Police: You didn't
Me:So how com you're talking to me now? What position am I at the moment.
Police: Emm (short of words)
Police:You may go
Me: Thank you..ass**** (under my breath)

A few days later, I was stopped at the same checkpoint.
Police:Well done madam
Me: Hi
Police:Why u no dey smile madam and why you dey wear dark glasses when you dey drive?
Me: Because I'm not in a good mood
Police: Ok madam dey go.

I was so angry and at the same time laughing at the stupid question. I wonder what my sunglasses has got to do with my driving.

I got to Naija on a Friday morning and while I was trying to catch some sleep, my cousin (Mr M) came in and said "Iyaeto, I didn't know you were coming but there is an Owambe today (a community award) and tommorrow" (Dr T's party). I said I wasn't interested but my cousin wasn't having it. Before I knew what was happening, a tailor came to the house, took my measurement and about 2 hours later, I was given an Aso ebi! so I had to go to the party. The next day, I was given another Aso ebi to wear to a party. I just had to tag along. i enjoyed myself though. What shocked me was that my cousin (a guy) sorted out the aso ebi. I never knew that men too are into Aso Ebi.

Before I left for Naija, I wanted to buy the Prison Break box set and they were going for like 50 bucks each so (as an Ijebu woman) I thought they'll be on sale when I get back from Naija but when I got to Naija, I got the DVDs for N300 per season. I was even telling the guy that if it doesn't work, I'll bring them back (what do I expect of a N300 dvd) but funny enough the dvds were very clear. So I've been watching Prison Break since I landed. (I don't encourage piracy but what can I do).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could see meself in your in piece. Was also in Nigeria and i was stopped for nothing and had to cough out N500- for driving a benz. I felt like i jus paid for road tax.
Owambe's i tried to avoid and there is always a party to attend. Love to read bout Naija and can't wait to visit again....